Neva’s Old-Fashioned Baked Pumpkin Pie and Pie Crusts Recipes
- 15 ounce can Libby’s Pure Pumpkin or 1 ¾ cups cooked pumpkin
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon maple flavoring
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger or fresh pealed ginger (optional)
- Blend all ingredients in the blender until smooth.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 350F degrees for 1 hour.
Tip: Here are two lower fat options. Use ½ can coconut milk and ½ can of water or 2 cups of soymilk or favorite nut milk.
Two Pie Crust Recipes:
#1-Crumble Nut Crust
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2/3 cup flour (whole wheat pastry, almond, barley or ¾ cup quick oats)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey (warmed and runny) or 2 tablespoons sugar and 2-3 tablespoons water
- Place coconut, almonds, flour, and salt in food processor. Blend together for about 30 seconds. Then add honey and blend about 15 seconds. Turn off processor and test mixture with your fingers. If it seems too dry and crumbly, add a bit roe honey-just enough to feel soft and moist. It should stick together slightly when pressed. But be careful not to get it too wet, or it will not be as tender and light when baked.
- Press into a lightly oiled/sprayed pie plate, shaping with fingers to make a nicely formed piecrust. It helps to put a piece of plastic wrap over the crust or put your hand in a small plastic bag while pressing crust. This keeps the mixture from sticking to your fingers as you work.
- Bake at 375F degrees for about 10 minutes
Once cooled you can pour in the pumpkin pie filling and bake as directed
Variation: Coconut-Oat Crust: Use ¾ cup quick oats and ¾ coconut, following the instructions above.
#2-Simple and Flaky Piecrust
- ½ cup flour (whole wheat pastry, unbleached white or barley)
- 2/3 cup Brazil or walnuts
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ quick oats
- ¼ cup or more water
- Place flour, nuts, and salt in food processor and blend about 1 minute, until nuts are ground as fine as the flour.
- Remove mixing bowl and stir in oats. Add water, gently form dough into a ball with your hands. Add a bit more water, if needed, for a soft but not sticky ball of dough.
- Roll the dough from center to edges, forming a 12-inch circle.(See Hint)
- Trim pastry to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry and crimp edge.
- For prebaked crust, prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork. Prick where bottom and side meet all around the pie shell.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- For double crust pie, fill unbaked pastry with your choice of fruit filling. Add top crust, slit in several places and bake until done.
Hint: This is most easily done by rolling between two pieces of plastic bag material. Remove the top piece of plastic and invert the pie plate over the rolled-out dough. Slip hand under the bottom plastic with pie dough and plate on top. Quickly flip it over so the dough is now over the plate, and peel off the plastic. Gently shape dough into the plate with fingers, patching where necessary. This dough is very workable and patches well.
Pour Pumpkin Pie Mixture into unbaked shell and cook for 1 hour at 350F degrees.
Do not prick shell for pumpkin pie.