Plant Based Mexican Chocolate Cake
Rae Lee Copper
Inspired by Mexican Hot Chocolate , made famous by the “Chocolate”, this vegan Mexican Chocolate Cake recipe uses both cinnamon and cayenne to get a spicy chocolate flavor. This cake is dairy-free, egg free, and cholesterol-free.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons powdered (confectioner’s) sugar for topping.
Optional: Sprinkle 1/2 cup carob chocolate chips on top of the cake batter before placing pan in oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix vanilla, vinegar, oil, and water into a smaller bowl and mix together.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let cool a bit before sprinkling with powdered sugar.
** If you like hot spicy use the full amount if you like it more mild use 1/4 teaspoon.