Quinoa Nut Balls
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (broth really makes it taste good!)
- 1 cup walnuts, ground
- 3/8 cup ground golden flax seed
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup garbanzo flour or 1/2 cup quick oatmeal* (*Most commonly used)
- 2 Tablespoons McKay’s Beef-like Seasoning (or ¼ cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Lawry’s garlic salt (or 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Hickory Seasoning (optional)
- 16 oz. Extra-firm Tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is tender and water is evaporated about 15 minutes.
- Next, mince the walnuts in a food processor and place in a large mixing bowl, along with all the seasonings.
- Blend the tofu and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Add to mixture in the bowl and then stir in cooked quinoa and oatmeal. Mixture will not be too runny-just like a thick muffin batter, so it holds its shape when scooped onto the pan.
- Using a small release-type scoop, scoop mixture onto cookie sheet lined with non-stick liner or baking parchment paper, or oil the pan.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until just getting brown on top and bottom. Serve with Sweet Tomato Topping, Spaghetti Sauce or Gravy. You can eat them as is! Make a double recipe and freeze!
Sweet Tomato Topping
1 15 oz. can Fire-roasted Tomatoes 1 jar Smucker’s Apricot Simply Fruit Spread
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce 2-3 teaspoons Lawry’s Season Salt
Place in blender and blend very briefly to a slightly chunky texture. Heat and server over balls.
Adapted from the kitchen of Neva Brackett