Easy Protein Packed Bean Salad
For the Salad
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium-large cucumber or English cucumber cut into small pieces
- ½ medium red or white sweet onion, finely chopped
1 cup parsley, finely chopped (use flat leaf parsley, found in all grocery stores)
For the Dressing
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, usually a large lemon or use frozen lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2 teaspoons sugar or a drop of maple syrup or agave, gives a nice balance between the tangy and sweet
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked pepper, to taste
1. Put the drained and rinsed beans in a salad bowl. Add the cucumber, onion and parsley.
2. Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together. Pour over salad and let it marinate for at least an hour.
Leftover will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Just stir thoroughly before serving.
Adapted from Melanie McDonald recipe on the Virtual Vegan web site