Pepper Jack Hummus or Cheese
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tahini or sesame seeds (I use sesame seeds)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup cold water
1 Tbsp. agar powder for Hummus
2 Tbsp. agar powder for solid Pepper Jack Cheese
1 cup peppers, diced (I use red bell pepper and Jalapeno)
- Wash and soak cashews for 2 hours, then drain the water.
- Prepare a loaf pan to pour the cheese into, or a small container for Hummus.
- Combine cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, tahini or sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in the blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Leave the mixture in the blender.
- Combine cold water and agar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. (remember, 1 Tbsp. for the Hummus recipe, or 2 Tbsp. for the Pepper Jack Cheese recipe.)
- Start the blender with the mixture on low or medium and pour the agar mixture in. Blend for another 10 seconds until combined.
- Add the diced peppers to the blender and let blend for 5-10 seconds, just enough to get them mixed in but not pureed.
- Immediately pour in your container and refrigerate uncovered for an hour.
- Slice the Pepper Jack Cheese, or spread as a Hummus on crackers or use as a dip for vegetables.