Best Cabbage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, sliced (white part only)’
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons McKay’s Chicken Style Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 14 oz. cans great northern beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ large head green cabbage or 1 entire small-medium head, chopped
- 3 big handfuls of baby spinach
- In a large soup pot or 6-quart Dutch oven, sauté the leeks, carrots, and garlic in olive oil (or vegetable broth) over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all of the dry seasonings, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Mix well and let cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, beans, chopped cabbage and spinach to the pot. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot and let it cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Taste and add black pepper to salt if needed.
Squeeze the juice of a half of lemon or 1 tablespoon over soup and stir. Enjoy!
Adapted from Stacey Eckert’s “Best Vegetarian Cabbage Recipe”